Motorists can stay safe in the winter by driving safely. These tips can help:
- Be aware and be cautious. Weather conditions can deteriorate quickly or change as you travel.
- Slow down. Posted speed limits reflect ideal conditions, not wet or snowy conditions.
- Keep a safe distance between you and the vehicle in front of you. On slippery road surfaces, double the two-second rule.
- Avoid sudden turns of the steering wheel, and sudden braking and accelerating that could cause a skid.
- Avoid situations where you may have to break suddenly on a slippery surface.
- See and be seen. Always clear ice and snow from all vehicle windows to maximize visibility, and turn on your vehicle’s full lighting system when blowing snow and white-outs impair your visibility.
- Make sure you know how to use your braking system in all weather and road conditions.
- Allow more time to get to your destination. Extra time is required to negotiate snow-covered roads.
- Your vehicle’s tire treads should be in good condition and you should always have plenty of windshield washer fluid to assist with visibility.