March Rural Community Association
December 14, 2011
President Judy Makin called the meeting to order at 7:30.
1. Attending Directors: Wendy Barber, Marie Cook, Marjorie Edwards, Bob Gregory, Todd Lafontaine, Judy Makin, Ken McQueen, Dave Steadman, Ann Ward, Brian Ward.
Regrets: Chris Busby, Mary Dekok, Martha Webber, Phoebe Webber, Tricia Willink.
2. Circulation of Correspondence:
- November minutes
- MRCA Constitution
- Draft MRCA brochure/survey
- Card for Martha Webber for our signatures
3. Julie McKercher, Rural Community Developer for Goulbourn and West Carleton, described a United way initiative to fund rural services called Stronger Communities. A grant of up to $2,000, with matching funds from the City, is available for projects initiated by rural communities. Suggestions discussed included upgrading the rink facilities, although its required signage is the sole responsibility of the city. It is an opportunity that will be considered in 2012. Julie’s phone # at the Western Ottawa Community Resource Centre: 613-3686 x 498; email: email@example.com.
4. Development applications: notice of 16 storey condo at the corner of Teron and the Parkway in Beaverbrook; water drainage and lack of schools were noted at the Tillsonburg St. development in Kanata North; notice of a transportation policy update to the Official Plan.
5. The November minutes were approved.
6. New Business: Wendy noted a fire at Riverfront Park and the on-going partying in the park. Fire fighters put out the fire and police are aware of the use of the park.
The meeting was adjourned at 9:00 pm.
The Christmas social was enjoyed by all.
Next meeting: January 11, 2012.
Watching briefs: Riverfront Park; bridge to Aylmer via Riddell Drive; commuter train from Pontiac to Ottawa via Kanata.